Intel HD400 GPU optimization

Forum rules
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 Intel HD400 GPU optimization

Post by Hal Bregg »

I am trialing Collatz and was wondering if crunching with Intel GPU makes sense? Can it be optimized at all?

If not can crunch on CPU using more than one core?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Intel HD400 GPU optimization

Post by davidbam »

Sorry I haven't tried Intel GPU at all but I wouldn't think CPU crunching would be very productive. Happy to be proved wrong of course
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#3 Re: Intel HD400 GPU optimization

Post by Bryan »

I haven't run Collatz CPU for years but it used to be one of the better paying CPU projects. Credit wise, a GPU blows it away of course.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#4 Re: Intel HD400 GPU optimization

Post by Hal Bregg »

I knew that GPU would be only way to crunch for this project. As a test I run Collatz on CPU and it was going to take around 5 days on i7-4770 so i cancelled the tasks. I was wondering if I could employ more cores to crunch or is it single core project?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: Intel HD400 GPU optimization

Post by scole of TSBT »

Collatz does have a GPU app for the Intel onboard GPUs. You just need to get the OpenCL drivers installed. It's not nearly as powerful as the gaming cards but it is faster than CPU. Beware though. The GPU is in the CPU die correct? So you need to watch the CPU temps really close?

No multi-threaded apps
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#6 Re: Intel HD400 GPU optimization

Post by Hal Bregg »

scole of TSBT wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:29 pm Collatz does have a GPU app for the Intel onboard GPUs. You just need to get the OpenCL drivers installed. It's not nearly as powerful as the gaming cards but it is faster than CPU. Beware though. The GPU is in the CPU die correct? So you need to watch the CPU temps really close?

No multi-threaded apps
I wasn't aware of dying GPUs bundled up with CPU.

EDIT

I am in the middle of testing Collatz on old laptop which usually crunches climateprediction@home. Temps are not too bad (around 65-67 degrees) but it takes nearly 3 days to complete one task. I wish that Collatz was mt-abled like Amicable Numbers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Collatz Conjecture”