SETI Help!

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Overtaking imminent!

Team SERIO +10K
US Marines . +58K

It should be all over by Friday after which the tension rather goes out of the SETI situation, until autumn anyway!
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

97th for SETI Now!

Well we showed SERIO who is boss. :D 8) :wav:

The US Marines Corps are however, as one would expect, fighting to the last. As they are just 3K away from having their macho bottoms kicked by some Scottish civilians :lol: I confidently predict that their last is imminent & we shall have vanquished them before the day (the 12th) is over.

After that I suggest that all of us with NVidia GPUs crunching SETI find some laurels to rest them on and set them on more profitable projects. 8) At the same time anybody with a CPU (ie you reading this) should consider setting it onto SETI. This will defer the dreadful day when, in order to keep a scientifically and sentimentally important project afloat, we need to waste precious GPU resources, which could be better deployed elsewhere.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

So much for that prediction.
The Marines have shown that they are good for more than pissing on dead taliban :shock: and have now pulled 20K clear. [Edit: On reflection I think I may have miss read the stats and the gap was actually 30K :oops: ]

It ain't over! But soon it might be. Maybe.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

96th Now for SETI!

Hurrah! :wav: US Marines Corps lie vanquished at our feet, anticipating our urine. But, we are morally superior to them, so let us use the battlefield portaloos instead and move onwards and upwards! Except I think there might be more onwards than upwards for a while. Still can't have everything.

Keep those CPUs on SETI and we'll all be fine. :D
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#45 SETI EMERGENCY !

Post by Megacruncher »

FFS Guys we are 102nd for SETI!

This is simply not good enough: we must get back to top 100!

Regardless on the impact on the overall output of TSBT or myself I shall turn all of my CPU cores and NVidia GPUs over to SETI until we are back in the premier league where we belong.

You could do the same but in practice setting your CPU cores onto SETI might be the most cost effective way forward.
Willie the Megacruncher
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Sorry, been working on SETI Beta rather than the main site. Will swap back this evening for what my output is worth.
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

It all helps thanks and I'd rather have loads of CPU cores thrown at SETI than use up too many GPUs which could be getting much better credits elsewhere.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Good response guys!
In a few days we have dropped from 171st by RAC to 143rd!

We are still in 102nd by total credit a situation on which I think we can improve.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

121st by RAC now!
And as we seem to be passing 100K per day we will soon be top 100 by RAC with the Total Credit heading that way.
Willie the Megacruncher
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I checked last night and my machine had mostly cleared the old cache and was working almost exclusively on SETI. Not sure how long I can keep it doing that but it'll be a few weeks at least. :)
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

MacDitch wrote:I checked last night and my machine had mostly cleared the old cache and was working almost exclusively on SETI. Not sure how long I can keep it doing that but it'll be a few weeks at least. :)
I'll keep it up so long as I can avoid demotion from the Boinc Combined World top 100. At 87th with a buffer of 80 million that will be a few months. :)

I've never really felt that I've pulled my weight with SETI ( I'm outside the UK top 200 for instance) so an excuse to improve my standing has to be a good thing. I'd like to lead TSBT from the front (top 3 at least) and break into the UK top 100 for it.

Allowing my NVidia beasts the odd sniff at DistRTGen goes a long way towards keeping my totals respectable.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

97th by RAC now! Still 102nd by Total Credit although that will improve over the course of a few weeks.
I think I've got a fairly sustainable mix of loads of SETI with some DistRGen and Primgrid which is protecting my overall output at over a million per day (and allowing my Boinc Combined ranking to rise to a best ever equal of 85th! 8) ) whilst allowing me to contribute 30K for SETI which is hopefully helping our situation.
But it's a team response and plenty of others have upped their games. Many unkown to this forum. Thanks to all & keep it up. Its an ultra marathon not a sprint!
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

SETI seems to have gone down for the last 45 hrs.
This is a good thing! :lol:
Keep crunching it right up to the point that you run out of work units ( then switch to something else (obviously)). When the lights come on again -asthey always do- we will have gained on our competitors with small caches and faint hearts.
Willie the Megacruncher
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by CycloneRanger »

Hmmmmm. I think I have a question!

My BOINC Manager shows the following task info: "Running (0.264 CPUs +1 NVIDIA GPU)" for a (cuda23) task

Is that typical? Are my cores being used primarily on non-GPU tasks, and how can I tell how efficiently I am processing tasks?

Thanks in advance!
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I can confirm that this is typical. I get similar messages - give or take a few dozen 1000th of a CPU. Presumably it means that a fraction of a core is needed to help out the GPUwith SETI although it's a pretty token amount and doesn't actually reduce the number of CPU tasks running.
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “SETI”