Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Forum rules
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#1 Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Don't as yet try using the 9.6 Catalyst as the driver keeps failing and killing the tasks. I went back to 9.5 and all is well.
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

if your on 32 bit you should still be using the 8.12, 9.1 or 9.2 drivers only. for 64 bit vista you can use any driver (with the now appaent exception of 9.6) as long as you do the copy and rename the 3 files trick.
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Well after much hair pulling and teeth gnashing not to mention multiple different drivers/boinc versions I finally got my new ATI card crunching.
This morning realised i was only using half of it so now up to full power, that said the first half day or so of single core crunching has seen an output of a not too shabby 30k or so, will have to see what running both cores will produce.
oh for the record a HD4850 x2 with a Phenom II x4 955 3.2 GHz black edition CPU.

Has been a frustrating few days, first off the card is so loooong that it hit the drive cage on my first case, bought a new case then realised that it hit a capacitor on the mobo and so wouldn't fit.
new mobo needed so well may as well upgrade the CPU then realised the memory didn't fit so had to buy new memory.
Got it all built then of course couldn't get it to work due to driver/boinc version issues.
But it's running now! :twisted:
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

...bought a new case then realised that it hit a capacitor on the mobo and so wouldn't fit.
new mobo needed so well may as well upgrade the CPU then realised the memory didn't fit so had to buy new memory...
So, that's a new case, mobo, cpu & RAM or, in short, a new computer! :)

Next you'll be buying a new GPU for the 'old' computer :!:
Image Image
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Old stuff is eventually going into this machine which is an old dual core Pentium when I have some spare time. :wink: :wink:
That's 51k from this machine already today :shock: :shock:
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

The 4850x2 are my card of choice. It's just with 2 in a machine the temperatures at the moment are meaning I cannot keep it cool enough to run.

Yup 105C onthe GPU1 and Mainboard temps to 60+C.

I have added 5 more fans to the machine and got the mainboard temps to 52C.

I have a spare aircon unit but the leccy bill would go tooooo high :(

I'll do what I can for now, I need a plan though. Rack space in Antartica could be a start but failing that.... 2 machines running 7 off :(
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dl/boinc_6.10 ... x86_64.exe

Thanks to Crunch3r things are looking up ... 6.10.0 is all about ATI support. Code is checked in and 1st client available. I am trying it on one machine now.

Also Milkyway updated the server tonight and the CUDA client should be available in the next couple of days according to Travis as the server is now willing and able.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Yes, it's been up for a day or so. I'm waiting to see how it pans out: no urgent need on this side. My boxes with ATI MW use VirtualBox to run a second Boinc instance under Ubuntu. That way everything is independent and no worries about LTD/STD, priorities or any other interaction 8)

....and it appears we have another ATI card crunching on the project unless you know otherwise Willie! :wink:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I've been trying to get Milkyway ATI to work for months. I got so fed up at the lack of work that in a fit of piqueI sold my first 4850 back in April. JockMacMad bought it and has used it, and many others, to kick my ass!

More recently I have been running a 3850 which gets work okay but keeps crashing (the HSF on it is v. feeble).

Yesterday I splashed out on a 4850 with a much better HSF. A few crashes aside it seem to be much more reliable and has netted me about 60K in the last day!
Willie the Megacruncher
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Welcome back to MW :)
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Milkyway is down! :shock: :(

Our figures have plumetted.
Willie the Megacruncher
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Yep, Feeder went down about 09:00. Now no work units available. Back to GPUGRID for me.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

There's no other use for an ATI card yet, is there?
Willie the Megacruncher
steve

Post by steve »

Megacruncher wrote:There's no other use for an ATI card yet, is there?

http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

I believe Folding@home can also support ATI (from what I've read on their website). See April 2008.

April 2008 We have released our second generation GPU2 code for ATI clients.
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-highperformance
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I'll try the 4850 on Collatz.

As for Folding. It would be ideal if it was anything to do with Boinc. Really! :roll: :wink:
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Yup I got Collatcz working on the 4850 once I'd installed BM 6.10.0 and the optimised app. It's no substitute for MW mind. :(
Willie the Megacruncher
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

As for Folding. It would be ideal if it was anything to do with Boinc. Really!
Oooooops I'd forgotten that was part of the criteria :oops:

Lady luck deals her cards, is it time for another re-think for the competition :twisted:
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Bingo ! Just got my first new GPU WU's. Full steam ahead :D
steve

Post by steve »

End of the gold rush

"Credit Reduction
September 11, 2009
Milkyway's credit awarded has been a bit too high for awhile now, and we're bringing it down to be in line more with other projects. We've been using a credit multiplier of 7.5 per double precision FLOP and other projects are using around 5.4 per double precision FLOP. We're reducing our multipler to this, so credit should be down around 20-30%. I know everyone hates credit reductions, but it was really needed. We also have some performance improvements for CUDA and ATI applications on the way out, so hopefully it won't be too bad. As usual, try to keep the forum flaming about the credit changes somewhat civil."
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Yup, but the new v0.20 ATI app should claw back a fair proportion of the loss. Due for release shortly I believe.

The danger is that he who must not be named will return once more to reduce the credit per flop multiplier.
steve

Post by steve »

Nightlord wrote:Yup, but the new v0.20 ATI app should claw back a fair proportion of the loss. Due for release shortly I believe.

The danger is that he who must not be named will return once more to reduce the credit per flop multiplier.

I think we need a Dutch Assassin
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

No amount of googling has clarified Steve's meaning for me, but there you are!

Our daily total has been hit quite badly by the MW recalibration, but so too has that of our rivals so no need to panic!

I've got to say that I always thought that Milkyway ATI was over-generous and it never seemed right that my HD4850, in its ropey old E6600, was able to out-credit the whole of the rest of the farm by a silly margin.

As it is the margin has just narrowed from silly to slighty implausible so, ATI Milkyway dominated as TSBT is, we shall continue to thrive.
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Yeah, I couldn't figure that one out either, apart from a word play on DA. Perhaps we just need our own Wizard to sort out he who must not be named. :lol:

Bearing in mind the googling I just ran, I also now expect a knock on the door from the FBI :roll:

Anyways, v0.20 is posted. Downloading it now. Early reports suggest a speed up over 0.19.

/Edit/

Anyone know how to persuade BT to increase the bandwidth on a rural phone exchange? I'm gonna need it now.

It's difficult to tell for sure with long and short WU's mixed up, 3 WU's running concurrently and the GPU time not matching wall time, but on two machines tested so far, it looks like about 30% speed increase :D
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

A word of caution!

I can't (yet) get the ATI v0.20 app to run under Win7. Not sure about Vista becasue I don't have an ATI enabled Vista box. I have a "can't generate output file" error when the WU starts crunching, yet it's fine with the 0.19 app on the same machine. I dropped a note in the MW forums, but as yet no further info.

The XP machines are running much faster on 0.20 than 0.19 though.

YMMV :wink:
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

After much gnashing of teeth and dozens (hundreds?) of trashed WU's - boy to these GPU's crash the WU fast - I got it working on the Win7 box! :D

Upgraded to Catalyst 9.9 and the beast sprung into life. 8)

The speed up is confirmed at around 30%, which means that my three cards should now reach 11-12k - more than before the credit reduction.

:twisted:
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Win 2003 all is goooood.

Win7 = errors
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Exactly the same here XP good, Win 7 bad. Upgraded to Cat9.9 and everything is fine and dandy :wink:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Right Milkyway 0.20 and catalyst 9.9 it shall be, from tomorrow anyway!

As for all this googling of D*tch Ass*s*n, do you reckon that will be seen as some sort of recruitment bid & TSBT will suddenly be added to a secret list of internationally proscribed organisations? :shock:
Willie the Megacruncher
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Or they may think it was due to the recent World Cup result.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Megacruncher wrote:Right Milkyway 0.20 and catalyst 9.9 it shall be, from tomorrow anyway!

As for all this googling of D*tch Ass*s*n, do you reckon that will be seen as some sort of recruitment bid & TSBT will suddenly be added to a secret list of internationally proscribed organisations? :shock:
We could try a Swedish Chef as backup given the DA's somewhat unpredictable results... that way we get proscribed by Burger King and KFC. :D
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I need some pointers on how to keep Milkyway running right now. I'm struggling to keep machines working. Everytime I walk away things break less than an hour later. Out of 10 ATI GPUs I'm guessing at any time I actually have 2-4 working....painful :?

Some machines just stall, they sit there with WU's ready to run but start none. Others show as started but the 0% completed never goes up. And finally my most stable machine historically is now my worst and I have not changed anything but the BOINC version and the ATI app. It's looking like changing everything around again. Is anyone else struggling with 6.10.3 & 6.10.4 or have the gremlins parachuted into my place ?
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I don't have any machines running 6.10.x clients, but it seems there are still problems with the schedulers on them.

If you have no other projects running on those boxes, you could try rolling back to the standard client 6.6.36, or if you have other projects running, I think crunch3r has released a version of a "fixed" client in this message on the MW forums.

TBH, the boinc client release is a mess just now; ATI cards are supported, but the client is very buggy. I run my ATI cards from 6.6.36, treating them as CPU's. That frazzles the scheduler and causes problems for other projects. So I use Virtual Box on those machines to host Ubuntu 9.04 and run a completely separate instance of Boinc and crunch other projects from there.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I've got no idea how to keep MW running. All I know is:
1. First time I tried it the results were so unrewardingly irregular that I sold that rig to JockMacMad!
2. My 4850 on an E6600 (BM6.6.36) blasts along very productively and only sometimes falls over.
3. My 3850 on a Q6600 has been very prone to stopping (despite me upgrading the cooler) but has done much better since I moved to BM 6.10.4
4. GPUs seem to fail rather quicker than CPUs when running flat out under 24/365 conditions.
5. Collatzc seems to stress cards less than Milkyway (or indeed GPUGrid) and might be a better bet for an aging card that can't handle MW (or GPUGrid) anymore.
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Looks like they've mapped the whole MW so everyone's sloped off to Collatz... leaving me to play suicide BOINC on SZTAKI...
:pottytrain5:
....anyone giving negative credits these days ?
Storme

Post by Storme »

I just got some Milkyway units to crunch. Looks like it's rising from the ashes.
robmacagain

#37 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by robmacagain »

I have just got back around to crunching this project on my shiny xfx7970, but due to the cost i will be only running 48 hours at a weekend.

Had a trial run today and on a full hour i got about 12K in credit so if that's the case i will do 1/2 million so i think that's ok.

Hello again by the way, been a while.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#38 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by Alez »

Welcome back and yes as you have seen, when it comes to double precision projects, not much keeps up with a 7970. They are impressive beasts.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
robmacagain

#39 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by robmacagain »

Well i have decided that the cooler on my 7970 is a great big pile of guano, its soooo noisy its doing my heed right in and it cools rubbish the card is at 79c whilst running MW@H, so i have ordered one of these > , i have modded a sapphire card with improved cooling before so i am fairly confident in doing it, will be here on Tuesday and i cant wait.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#40 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by Alez »

Looks good. I have a similar cooler on my 6990 but with only 2 fans.
Being double precision MW does push the card hard, but 79 c is a bit on the hot side. What fan speed does catalyst report or try afterburner to monitor what the card is running. Also is the case getting enough air pushed through it ? Could it be that the card is trying to cool itself with the hot air in the case as I have always found that the cards are not very good at pushing the air out of the case by themselves and extra fans pushing air in the front or side and out at the back make a huge difference.
robmacagain

#41 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by robmacagain »

I have this case > http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-30 ... version%29 With the 2 120 mm front fans fitted also a side fan blowing on the GPU and all are set to high atm.

I am also thinking about getting a corsair H80 for the cpu but i am dithering about it, my cpu has a big ass heat sink with a 120mm fan (cant remember what it is) on it so i think its fine and all it will do is free up some space really that's why i cant decide :?:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#42 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by scole of TSBT »

What cpu and what temps are the cores running at? I use a H80i on a i7 3770. It's odd though, the outer fan, up against the case is quiet at max rpm, but the inner fan is noisy as heck at max rpm. Had to use the Corsair link to manually lower rpm to only 75% and it still makes a fair amount of noise. Temps stay high 60s to low 70s. BTW, had to mount mine on the rear 120mm fan port. It's the only one that would give enough clearance over the mobo, DIMMs, plugs. Also, despite what the instructions say, point the fans to blow out. That way you're not blowing hot air back in to your GPU.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#43 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by Alez »

I do have one of my cases that has a huge fan fitted to the side that was blowing onto the gpu and I found it caused turbulance round the gpu's ( 4 of them in this case ) and actually increased the temp. I swapped the fan round so it was sucking the hot air away from the gpu rather than blowing , especially if one of the front fans is directing air along the gpu.
You could try flipping the case onto it's side and take off the side plate. If the GPU temp drops without the side fan blowing on it, then it probably is turbulent hot air simply rolling round the gpu and swapping the direction of the fan round would hopefully make a difference. I won't insult by asking if you have checked the gpu radiator is clean :D

I have never had hydro cooling so can't comment on that but I do have all my crunchers fitted with aftermarket coolers as the the stock ones are never up to the job. Also I always get coolers so that I can direct the hot air straight towards the back and out, rather than the stock coolers which just chuck the heat onto the back of your gpu and into the psu.
robmacagain

#44 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by robmacagain »

@ Scole i am running a Amd fx-6200 with an Ocz Vendetta II cooler and all cores are running at between 21c at idle and 38 @ full load, when you say between high 60s and low 70s do you mean f or c?

@ Alez i turned off the front 120mm fans and reversed the side fan and my Gpu went up to 85C, when i turned them fronts back on it dropped to 82c and then i put the side one back to blowing instead of extracting and it dropped down back to 79/80c, so i think the case fans are ok, i definitely need that improved cooler for the card that i have ordered and its been dispatched and saying delivery tomorrow (Monday) ye har.

I have stopped new tasks now for the weekend and will start them again next weekend there just running down the noo, as i type i have 5 left, so in about 1 min 30 i'm done till then.
robmacagain

#45 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by robmacagain »

I'm out and the noise and heat are dropping nicely, its too damn hot in here and its still 17C outside @ 22:15, about time we had some good weather!
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#46 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by scole of TSBT »

Yeah, 70c. If anyone has suggestions to keep it cooler, I'm all ears. I have another LGA 1155 CPU and it's difficult to keep cool also. Though the GPUs stay 70c or below.

I couldn't look cross at my CPU without it shooting over 50c. What are you running on the 6 CPU cores?
robmacagain

#47 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by robmacagain »

Sheez that cpu is hot, i'm guessing by your question your running projects on the cpu, i am not running anything on mine well just 1 core is going with MW tother 5 are doing zip because i cant be doing with all the heat when they do so i don't.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#48 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by scole of TSBT »

Yeah, 7-8, threads crunching cpu projects. No free rides here. I didn't get to 100,000,000 coddling my CPUs :lol:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#49 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by Alez »

All my cpu's are always running close to 70 c. ( or above ) :D I had my first i7 running at 90 ish for months when I first started without realising and it's still going strong :shock: I believe the AMD cpu's run hotter than the intels normally and I can only dream of having mine run at 30. Short of some serious mods to cases ( or custom ) and major amounts of water cooling, I don't think you could run a core at 100% on Boinc and be below 60 - 70 c, which ( as far as I am aware ) is still well below the temperature at which you can damage a chip anyway.
My sapphire 7970 flat out and over-clocked stupidly on MW runs at about 60 - 62 c and since you have tried reversing the fan etc it does seem that the stock cooler you have just isn't up to the job. Hopefully the new one will sort the problem out for you.
robmacagain

#50 Re: Milkyway - ATI Flavour

Post by robmacagain »

scole250 wrote:Yeah, 7-8, threads crunching cpu projects. No free rides here. I didn't get to 100,000,000 coddling my CPUs :lol:
I did without 1 cpu project running :D

Had this

Now this

Temperatures are only 2c lower at load but the noise is so much less and that was what i really wanted :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MilkyWay”