Volpex

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 Volpex

Post by scole of TSBT »

Anyone else snag any Volpex? They have such a short fuse to start that some cancelled before they started. Didn't have the resource share high enough compared to other projects that were running.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#2 Re: Volpex

Post by Silver »

I'm not even signed up for it!
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: Volpex

Post by scole of TSBT »

It's one of those rare work projects. Last year 321,338 credits took 1st for 25 points.

Not sure yet, but I think these WUs use the trickle up method and require constant internet access. Not positive but I think I might be seeing something like that.

If you run it, make sure the resource share is set very high compared to other projects. If a WU doesn't start within a short period of time it will abort.

Volpex Server Status shows 137 WUs in progress and I have 35 of them! :D
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Volpex

Post by Alez »

Forget everything you know about boinc projects and run Volpex by not looking at the units etc. It works nothing like a normal Boinc project.

Volpex is multithread across multiply users, parallel computing. Not sure of the exact numbers but think of it like this. A volpex unit is sent to 5 users. 3 users will crunch the unit in parallel. 2 users are on standby. If one of the 3 drops out then 1 of the 2 spare will take over. That's why you need constant internet access to run and why you sometimes get paid for doing nothing. Those are the units that end with cancelled by servers.
If you are one of the users running the unit then it will end with an error. Every single unit on volpex either ends cancelled or error. They have not really errored at all, they have run to completion sucessfully but as boinc has no way of dealing with this type of unit and it produces no stderr.txt the manager can't cope and so reports error. As I said this is perfectly normal.
Volpex is always hard to get units and they also seem to prefer known computers so as you get more units they will get easier.
I actually like runninig Volpex, it's a different and interesting concept of doing parallel computing. The other good thing is that very few people run it as they never bother to find out about it and look on the forum, so assume that all units error and stop it. There are plenty of posts on the forum of people just raging about what a crap project volpex is without bothering to read any other posts which would explain that what they percieve as an error is actually the normal running of the project. A bit like people raging on BU that all the units run for ever without a single successful result and points when they don't even have an ASIC attached.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: Volpex

Post by scole of TSBT »

More Volpex...get it!
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: Volpex

Post by scole of TSBT »

They better not do the same thing this time! At least last time I got a little credit. Uploaded a bunch last night before the project went down and still have a bunch on my systems.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#7 Re: Volpex

Post by scole of TSBT »

They did it again.....
Hello,
Thanks for your message.
For some reason, jobs were not completing; We manually aborted the jobs from server side.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

regards
Admin team
Over 700 hours on it and a big goose egg to show for it :evil:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Volpex

Post by Alez »

suxs :(
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Volpex”