ECM WUs

Forum rules
utopia-i
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#1 ECM WUs

Post by utopia-i »

Any ideas how to get some WUs ? - server status has approx 2K to send but just cant get any :shock:
28/10/2015 13:39:58 | yoyo@home | Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
28/10/2015 13:39:58 | yoyo@home | Requesting new tasks for CPU and Intel GPU
28/10/2015 13:40:01 | yoyo@home | Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
28/10/2015 13:40:01 | yoyo@home | No work sent
28/10/2015 13:40:01 | yoyo@home | (There was work but not for the applications you have allowed. Please check your settings on the website.)
28/10/2015 13:40:01 | yoyo@home | (won't finish in time) Computer on 99.9% of time, BOINC on 99.8% of that, this project gets 33.3% of that
So I have ECM only in yoyo prefs and WCG and NFS and running, do I need to finish WCG and NFS and then will get ECM WUs .. I thought the scheduler would handle the allocation share.

I dont see any point having yoyo at 100% share and then there are no WUs to send = 0% productivity :twisted:
... is that apple pie I smell

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: ECM WUs

Post by scole of TSBT »

How many WCG and NSF WUs do you already have on your system and what is your cache set to?
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: ECM WUs

Post by Dirk Broer »

If I want WUs from a given project -desperately- I set the resources for that project at 10000 and all other projects at 'No new work', and/or I suspend them.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: ECM WUs

Post by Alez »

Dirk Broer wrote:If I want WUs from a given project -desperately- I set the resources for that project at 10000 and all other projects at 'No new work', and/or I suspend them.
I do the same.

I also see this line in your output
28/10/2015 13:40:01 | yoyo@home | (won't finish in time) Computer on 99.9% of time, BOINC on 99.8% of that, this project gets 33.3% of that
Which suggests to me that yoyo will not send you a unit as your current settings mean it would not finish in time. I have never seen that one before. What cache have you set ? Do you have lots of units from other projects downloaded ? I would set the cache to 0.1 and 0.1 unless you are bunkering for a challenge.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
utopia-i

#5 Re: ECM WUs

Post by utopia-i »

Thanks for the replies, interesting, I am full of WUs on closer examination, I have hundreds of 16e NFS 44 minute WUs with a shortish deadline and that I fear is my issue. I hope to get a 1m badge, just over 150K to go.

As Ive got restarted with WCG again and FAH2, 10 WUs at 9 hours each, I am greedy and chasing an ECM WU which. An be 30hours or so I seem to remember.

To make matters worse I suspect the default setting cache is 7 days post Asteroids challenge a few weeks ago.

I need to learn how to manage the share of projects time per the 4 cores available, 100% usage, 24/7 and also to be patient ! i wanted boincmgr to do that but keep on changing the goalposts it seems.

Im going to drain the existing WUS via Wont get tasks and re evaluate a strategy and prioritise what goal Im aiming for. Saying that I need to be flexable for one of my bunkering efforts !

Perhaps I need more cores, has anyone bought cloud time and successfully crunched WUs ?

Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#6 Re: ECM WUs

Post by Silver »

We all need more cores :wink:
Alez did a how to guide for AWS - http://www.dunadd.co.uk/seti/forum/view ... =14&t=1915
It's a couple of years old now but I wouldn't think much has changed if you fancy trying it.

This line in your post caught my attention:
28/10/2015 13:40:01 | yoyo@home | (There was work but not for the applications you have allowed. Please check your settings on the website.)
To me that reads that there aren't any ECM units available, maybe because you wouldn't have been able to complete them before the deadline, as per Alez suggestion, or possibly because there weren't any windoze ECM units but there may have been linux ones.

boicmgr is a bit of a law unto itself, if you work out how to get it to do exactly what you want make sure you let us all know you did it!!
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: ECM WUs

Post by Alez »

I did cloud compute for a while as silver pointed out. Easy enough to do, but I did find that renting server time was quite cheap, data usage was not which could give you a nasty surprise at the end of a month. I used it mainly for a boost on comps.
Get your cache set back to 0.1, 0.1 or as you have found you will be sitting with tons of work and the scheduler just doesn't.
utopia-i

#8 Re: ECM WUs

Post by utopia-i »

thanks to all for spending time on this ...

I hadn't thought about the available to send WUs being a linux flavour at all :roll:

'Won't get new tasks' for all attached projects .. need to reset my cache thingy as well

I have 387 NFS@home WUs to complete and then re think a plan, dangerous as that is :oops:

Quite enjoying NFS but that Bryan is a master cruncher of NFS 8)

utopia-i

#9 Re: ECM WUs ... now Cruncher

Post by utopia-i »

I've just reached the 100K silver star on ECM, and as the WUs are so hard to get I've decided to give
'Cruncher - optimal golumb ruler: yes' another go and try to reach 2 gold starts 1m badge, a bit ambitious I agree, anyhow,

what does Cruncher pay per WU on a PC - the deadlines are extra long at a month .. 23/12/15, a must for bunkering I note, the client has quesstimated 15 hours per WU and seem readily available as of todays download anyhow .. (2 PCs got about 80 of them!)

With such a long WU deadline WCG will continue to make headway but will eventually wont get new tasks and leave Cruncher to take control .. looks like an ideal project to leave running over the XMAS hols when big brother doesn't like to see any network activity ..

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: ECM WUs

Post by Alez »

I run cruncher on my androids. Great for WUprop hours.

on the pc here is my last 4 returned results on an i7 3770k
time claimed granted
7,667.11 , 86.25, 200.69
24,694.82 , 277.80, 612.17
5,274.04 , 59.33 ,130.92
24,535.23, 276.01, 641.35

and for android
time claimed granted
37,679.12 , 95.91, 109.64
42,507.37 , 108.20, 123.44
36,653.16, 93.30, 105.41
20,428.96, 52.00, 58.30
26,726.93 , 68.03, 75.98
43,728.97 , 111.31 , 126.22
utopia-i

#11 Re: ECM WUs

Post by utopia-i »

Thats interesting, thanks for sharing, my PCs are just i5s of some description

I ran ECM on my Mac as I could get WUs for that platform - a couple of highlights
80,591.76 608.06 1,222.00
118,880.26 896.95 1,222.00

PC was
49,183.79 523.56 1,222.00

Hopefully the Crunchers will go well now they are back on a PC!, just had another 100 WUs downloaded so need to cut off my gimme 10 days and 7 extra thingy ma bob settings somewhere/anywhere :bom:

utopia-i

#12 Re: ECM WUs

Post by utopia-i »

Hello, apologies as someone has answered this before but, canny find it !

I'd like to trick BOINCMGR into thinking I have lots of CPUs so it will download a heap of work, they will have long deadlines, so the PC can crunch away over the 3 week festive period, not connected the network. I was aiming for Yoyo WUs, are there any other active, work available long deadline WUs out there ?

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#13 Re: ECM WUs

Post by scole of TSBT »

To fool the project server into thinking you have more cores, include the <ncpus>?</ncpus> tags in your cc_config.xml. Like this...
<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>?</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

Be sure to set the <project_max_concurrent>?</project_max_concurrent> tags in the app_config.xml in the project folder to the actual number of cores you have though. Like this
<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>?</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>

Be sure to reload the config files after the changes. Of course, if you plan to run more than one project, you'll need to make sure the total max current for all projects does not exceed the actual number of cores.

Rosetta has a 2 week deadline for some WUs.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#14 Re: ECM WUs

Post by Silver »

utopia-i wrote:over the 3 week festive period
Over the what!? :shock:
utopia-i

#15 Re: ECM WUs

Post by utopia-i »

You don't get 3 weeks ? :D , well from Wed 23rd Dec to 5th Jan, well almost 3 weeks anyhow ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi - thanksfor the info .. daft question of the day .. I cant seem to find the files, or search doesnt anyhow, Win7 box.

So should I create cc_config.xml, using notepad, which directory/folder/subfolder .. ?

For app_config.xml - is that to be created inside folder .. ProgramData -> BOINC -> projects -> http://www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#16 Re: ECM WUs

Post by scole of TSBT »

cc_config.xml is in...
\ProgramData\BOINC

yoyo project folder, where app_config.xml to control yoyo goes, is...
\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.rechenkraft.net_yoyo
utopia-i

#17 Re: ECM WUs

Post by utopia-i »

I am impressed with the xml files, thank you for sharing, hopefully enough cruncher ogr WUs now downloaded for my now 2 and a wee bit week off line crunching period,

Yoyo@home does have a maximum tasks downloaded type of message, possibly at 1000 WUs.

Yoyo complete times are all over the place from and 1 to 11 hours, still the WU deadline is 20th Jan 2016, (note to self, bunkering a real possibility for this project)

Hopefully the cruncher ogr 1m 2 gold stars badge will be a possibility (I have 185K to go to the 1m target)

Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#18 Re: ECM WUs

Post by Silver »

Sounds like you've managed to get it all sorted out utopia-i. Surely after you've uploaded your Christmas bunker you'll get that badge!
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#19 Re: ECM WUs

Post by scole of TSBT »

I just realized I'm only 2500 away from my ECM Master badge. Guess I have run a few more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “yoyo”