Sztaki

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 Sztaki

Post by scole of TSBT »

I'm using the simple command line script and getting loads of Sztaki work. Just wondering if the project is wide open with work or whether my systems are just in the zone?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: Sztaki

Post by Alez »

not much joy here
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
utopia-i
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#3 Re: Sztaki

Post by utopia-i »

Remember from a non BOINC expert, ie command line and Linux are the occult!, I have a feeling that more and more projects like to 'verify' the computer it is sending work to, a bit of chicken and egg scenario I agree. Im sure WCG does this, it is cautious to send work unless it has proven results returned to it in an orderly fashion. Even to extent of not sending work until it checks the computer is still on line and ready an willing. ( or it could be FAH2 Wus are still random)

Of course some projects just sent as much as they can, Asteroids always has work and sends 20 / 30 at at go, Yoyo is more cautious with return one, send one.

Yes I agree its down to local config files etc but I tend not to dable much with that, leaving it to the Boincmgr and the server.

Its all a bit of a black art really but the team Gods / visiting gurus have plenty tricks to help out.
... is that apple pie I smell

Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#4 Re: Sztaki

Post by Bryan »

On projects like Sztaki and Edges, where the work seems to come in bursts, you can enable "fetch_on_update" in the cc_config file. When this is checked then every time you upload a WU it will tickle all of your enabled projects and request work. The biggest problem with the BOINC scheduler is if it requests work a couple of times and is told there isn't any then it goes into a back off mode and stops requesting work for a while. Fetch_on_update overcomes that limitation.

The downside is that fetch_on_update will request work from ALL enabled projects and it doesn't pay any attention to the share priority you have set. It views a project with share of 1 the same as share of 10000.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#5 Re: Sztaki

Post by Silver »

Ahh now that's pretty clever.
Just to clarify Bryan. Do you just need to put that a single fetch request into any active projects config file for it to check all active project when you upload a completed unit
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: Sztaki

Post by scole of TSBT »

It goes in the cc_config.xml, but be careful. I would use the project updater. That way you can control which projects get updated and not end up with a bunch of tasks for non-priority projects.
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#7 Re: Sztaki

Post by Silver »

Thanks Scole, I just wanted to check I'd understood what Bryan meant.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “SZTAKI”