WU stuck

Forum rules
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

Grrrrrr - just aborted a Collatz WU which had become stuck! 18hrs of wasted time on an AMD RX580.

Anyone else seen that kind of problem? I only noticed when I saw that that machine hadn't uploaded to Collatz website in a while
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: WU stuck

Post by Alez »

Some projects are notorious for this issue. Collatz, strangely, is not one of them.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

I wonder if Boinctasks have the capability (or any plans) to spot this kind of thing? It would seem (relatively) easy to do on Linux clients. Hmmmm
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: WU stuck

Post by Alez »

Scole wrote a program to detect and abort stuck units on another project. It's on here somewhere. I'll look for it some time today, if I get a chance. Most of today should hopefully be spent travelling.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:27 pm Grrrrrr - just aborted a Collatz WU which had become stuck! 18hrs of wasted time on an AMD RX580.

Anyone else seen that kind of problem? I only noticed when I saw that that machine hadn't uploaded to Collatz website in a while
Ditto - also rx580 (on t1500 this time in case it happens again)
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: WU stuck

Post by scole of TSBT »

Alez wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:01 am Scole wrote a program to detect and abort stuck units on another project. It's on here somewhere. I'll look for it some time today, if I get a chance. Most of today should hopefully be spent travelling.
https://tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=2927
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

It was happening on every Collatz WU on that machine. I have reset the project to see if it helps
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

Hmmm - I think the card may be faulty
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: WU stuck

Post by Alez »

It may be or it could be something else. Try running something other than collatz and see.
I have an AMD 7970 that locks up the entire system on moo wrapper almost immediately, but runs everything else fine. I can't find why it won't run moo, it just wont.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#10 Re: WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

It stuck permanently on a PrimeGrid WU as well. Crept up to 100% eventually but then just sat there
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

I reckon I've got to the bottom of it. My theory is that the RX580 doesn't like running (under Linux) in an x79 motherboard. It works fine in others.

I also note that the optimisation needs to go in 2 places to be effective on all Collatz WU
/var/lib/boinc-client/projects/boinc.thesonntags.com_collatz/collatz_sieve_1.40_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__opencl_ati.config
/var/lib/boinc-client/projects/boinc.thesonntags.com_collatz/collatz_sieve_1.40_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__opencl_ati_gpu.config
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#12 Re: WU stuck

Post by scole of TSBT »

Is the BIOS up to date?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#13 Re: WU stuck

Post by davidbam »

I'll need to check - they were cheap boards off of eBay so I am probably paying the real price now. Mind you - they work fine with nVidia
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#14 Re: WU stuck

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 am I'll need to check - they were cheap boards off of eBay so I am probably paying the real price now. Mind you - they work fine with nVidia
A very common scenario, linux and nVidia seems pretty much fine, AMD not so much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Collatz Conjecture”