What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by Hal Bregg »

As in the subject, what do you think about this CPU?

Would it be good enough to crunch some projects involving GPU? And what motherboard would be good for it?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by davidbam »

I don't know the CPU at all, sorry but I have noticed that GPU projects differ greatly in the demands they place on the CPU.

Collatz uses barely any CPU even on fast nVidia cards. PrimeGrid, on the other hand, uses virtually 100% of a CPU core to keep the same GPU running. I suspect a slowish CPU on PrimeGrid would actually mean some GPUs were being 'held back'
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#3 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by Hal Bregg »

I was wondering if intergrated GPU in this processor would be suitable at all for crunching for example Einstein, MooWrapper or Asteroid@home.
I wasn't planning to crunch for PrimeGrid or Collatz at the moment so I am not bother too much about it.

What I like about this CPU is that its TDP is 65W plus it has got integrated GPU which hopefully would be suitable for crunching.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by scole of TSBT »

Hopefully [mention]Dirk Broer[/mention] will chime in. He knows as much about AMD CPUs as anyone. You'll have to find/install an OpenCL driver for that GPU.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by Dirk Broer »

Provided that you run Windows, the IGP of the AMD A10-7860K may very well be used for almost all projects that involve GPU crunching, just do not expect miracles.
(Though, on a side note: I personally have crunched MilkyWay GPU WUs using the IGP of my A10-5700 -and those require double precision....)
I presently run Collatz on the IGP of my A12-9800E -using the AMD-supplied drivers, not the proverbial Windows-supplied s#!t.

For several years my staple diet of credits was supplied by the IGP of my A8-3870K, which was coupled to two HD 6670's to crunch three WUs of Moo! at a time.
The IGP of my A8-3820 was coupled to another HD 6670 to run another two, while the Socket AM1 Athlon 5350's IGP ran yet another one. I virtually was 80% of AMD Users Moo! output for a time.

But right now I do a mix of PrimeGrid, Collatz and Moo! -be it that PrimeGrid is done by 'real' GPUs -from days past: A Geforce GT 650 and a HD 7790
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#6 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by Hal Bregg »

Thanks for chipping in, Dirk.
I guess I would use Window 10 by transplanting existing HDD from currently in use old PC with dual core Athlon.
Definitely it would greatly improve my crunching power and no miracles expected.

How many core I would be able to utilize in this CPU?
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#7 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by Dirk Broer »

Hal Bregg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:14 pmHow many core I would be able to utilize in this CPU?
Ha! That's a trick question, which can be parried with 'Integer or floating point?'. The A10-7860K has two 'Steamroller' modules, with two Integer cores and one Floating Point core each.
The system sees the two 'Steamroller' modules as four cores though, and you can run four CPU WUs at a time (unless you choose a GPU project that wants support of a full CPU core).

Note that the Bulldozer-family of APUs (like the K10 and Brazos APU family before them and the low-power Jaguar APU family) does not have a L3 Cache, which hampers some projects.
Just do not try to run four SRBase long WUs along each other.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#8 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by Hal Bregg »

By saying 'intiger or floating point' have you got in mind specific projects?
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#9 Re: What are you thoughts about AMD A10-7860K

Post by Dirk Broer »

No, I did not mean specific projects, but I do know that for certain PrimeGrid or SRBase apps Intel CPUs are better suited.
AMD's module approach sounded great in theory but may have been years ahead of its time, as only with the present Zen APUs there seems to be the level of integration needed.
I am quite happy with the IGP of my A12-9800E by the way, doing more than half of the work at the present Seti@Home Beta challenge (out of three GPU's working on it).
Normally I let it crunch Collatz or Moo!.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”