NumberFields

Forum rules
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#51 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

I'm just messing with it. Changed it again before I seen your post, so month is in 3 letter format rather than numeric. Is there a time format ?
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#52 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

Alez wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:41 pm
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#53 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

yup HH:MM on the time format - hopefully the 'usual' date ranges are now in the pink box for you?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#54 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

Yes they are. Looks good .... except the pink :lol:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#55 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

Feel free to play with the board CSS to change the default pink

It'll forever be the 'pink box' in my book - even if it is no longer pink :lol: :lol:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#56 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

I think I'll wait until I finally update the board before I hack that part .... or maybe I won't. Maybe a nice woodchip magnolia :lol:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#57 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

Would appear that the GPU tasks have now started paying 8000 per completion. Looking better than the credit screw crap.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#58 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

I note on Saturday that the credit was messed with again. 800 points for the GPU tasks now. Not worth running my GPU's on the project for that level of points.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#59 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

I reckon Eric must be getting grief from his users who have big totals earned on CPU crunching. If that is indeed the case, they need to wake up and smell the coffee - a GPU app basically obsoletes the idea of crunching on a CPU. Plus, if you want people to deploy their GPU on your project, you've got to credit at or near the going rate
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#60 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

Well here's a simple number for Eric. In all the years of running numberfields on a CPU, I found 7 decic's. Since the GPU app became available, I am now up to 18. If he can't see that simple fact what's the point ?
Apparently he had to drop the GPU credit because it was making the CPU credit too high. Why he can't award the points based on whether the task was run on a CPU or a GPU is beyond me. Every other project manages that simple task.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#61 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

Just posted this over at the project.
In my opinion, the change to 800 credits per task on a GPU is far too low.
Here's a simple number Eric. In all the years of running numberfields on a CPU, I found 7 decic's. Since the GPU app became available, I am now up to 18 in about a week of running on only 2 cards. I'm sure this will be replicated by everyone else running GPU's here. I believe you are quoting that a GPU does 20 x the work of a CPU. You need to encourage GPU's not make the project not worthwhile crunching compared to other GPU projects.
Apparently you had to drop the GPU credit because it was making the CPU credit too high. Why can't the award of points be based on whether the task was run on a CPU or a GPU ? Other project's manages that task.
The increased numbers of decic's found by just myself should indicate how much more work is being achieved by people running GPU's and should encourage you to award and attract more crunchers to use that platform. On most projects, the introduction of GPU apps makes the CPU app almost obsolete.
Think that is a fair comment. If it doesn't change soon, I'm out and back to Collatz , Enigma etc. I did want to make 20M on the project but not going to run my GPU's for weeks to achieve that.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#62 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

Glad you replied again as I really didn't understand what this guy meant by double-payment https://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFiel ... ostid=2354
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#63 Re: NumberFields

Post by Bryan »

What he is saying is that with fixed credits you will get the "correct" payout for both the CPU and GPU work done. If the GPU crunches 20x faster then it will earn credits equivalent to 20 threads of a CPU. In his world that is enough incentive to run his GPUs on the project because your real reward was finding decics for science.

In MY world it isn't paying enough to give me incentive to spin up the 1080Tis. In my opinion, with the exception of a couple of projects, all projects are running good science so I will choose where I'm willing to use my resources. I'm a credit/badge whore and NF isn't paying enough to tempt me to pay a higher electric bill to support the GPUs.

But the real reason is I can't run them on Linux :lol:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#64 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

Bryan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm But the real reason is I can't run them on Linux :lol:
... and that is down to a conflict with the onboard mobo graphics used by IPMI ???
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#65 Re: NumberFields

Post by Bryan »

davidBAM wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm
Bryan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm But the real reason is I can't run them on Linux :lol:
... and that is down to a conflict with the onboard mobo graphics used by IPMI ???
Yes sir, tis a fact :x

I will be returning home in 2 more weeks and I'm going to try upgrading from Mint 17 to Mint 19 (clean install). On the 2990WX machines it picked up the GTX 1080Tis during the Mint 19 install. I'm hoping it will setup both the Aspeed GPU and the Nvidia. I'll connect a monitor to eachone and see if it can figure it out.

I didn't leave the Nvidias in the 2990WX machines because dumping heat into the chassis* raised the temp on the CPU so I couldn't overclock it.

* Yes I know Steve, I should have followed your advice and bought the water cooled GPUs :doh:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#66 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

I am putting a gtx1660Ti through its paces as we speak. Seems to be about gtx1080 performance for only 120W and 65degs C. Might be a candidate for folks who like to close the cases :P
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#67 Re: NumberFields

Post by davidbam »

Might I suggest Ubuntu 18.10 as that is a fair bit newer than mint 19. Or is it the older kernel you want for performance?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#68 Re: NumberFields

Post by Alez »

Bryan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm What he is saying is that with fixed credits you will get the "correct" payout for both the CPU and GPU work done. If the GPU crunches 20x faster then it will earn credits equivalent to 20 threads of a CPU. In his world that is enough incentive to run his GPUs on the project because your real reward was finding decics for science.

In MY world it isn't paying enough to give me incentive to spin up the 1080Tis. In my opinion, with the exception of a couple of projects, all projects are running good science so I will choose where I'm willing to use my resources. I'm a credit/badge whore and NF isn't paying enough to tempt me to pay a higher electric bill to support the GPUs.

But the real reason is I can't run them on Linux :lol:
My thoughts exactly. They get free science off my money. If they can't be bothered to incentivise me with free credit then why should I bother. If the credit is Einstein or above, OK. Below that, seti, asteroids etc then I will not waste my time. That's the projects choice. Don't get the holier than thou attitude, either they want my GPU's on their project or they don't. Think that is pretty simple.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “NumberFields”