Oh Bugger

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
Ben

#1 Oh Bugger

Post by Ben »

Seems like they don't want to give up their #1 place :shock:

The Scottish Boinc Team RAC: 280,846
L'Alliance Francophone RAC: 273,999

So tell me lads... Who's going to take out a loan? :lol: Might donate a few WU's here and there to boost it a bit (even if it isn't much)!
Temujin

#2 Re: Oh Bugger

Post by Temujin »

Might donate a few WU's here and there to boost it a bit (even if it isn't much)!
Just call me McTemujin :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Here come the cavalry! :twisted:

Don't think McBen has that ring to it :wink:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Here come the cavalry!
haha, i'd hardly call us the cavalry, this is still gonna take a while

Lets see what we can do though :thumbup:
Ben

Post by Ben »

haha, i'd hardly call us the cavalry, this is still gonna take a while

Lets see what we can do though :thumbup:

Very true, but your output a day is more significant and would push it beyond the 300k marker, and if sigma-7 jumped ship then that's almost 60k increase :shock:
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

I'll be slotting another GTX260 in next week. :twisted: :twisted:
Unfortunately I seem to be 2 crunchers down just now and won't get back to them till Monday! :(
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I'd noticed L'AF catching up. They are the second biggest team in the world So if they all buy as many NVidea cards as us they will be irresistable. But the least we can do is to give them a run for their Euros.

Your help is very much appreciated, Guys.
In the circumstances I feel almost obliged to get me a third GTX
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Welcome aboard lads.:D

I have to say, I nearly choked on my coffee when I saw McTemujin on the PS3grid boards.

Nice touch 8)
Ben

Post by Ben »

I have to say, I nearly choked on my coffee when I saw McTemujin on the PS3grid boards.
Hope the coffee didn't go anywhere near the GTX! :D

In the circumstances I feel almost obliged to get me a third GTX
Oh temptation, temptation! Has the mini red devil from Nightlords image been talking to you? :wink:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

thanks for the welcome guys :D

I got me another GTX260 coming soon too :thumbup:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Seems they are really pushing the boat out here :!:

L'Alliance Francophone - RAC: 285,079
The Scottish Boinc Team - RAC: 283,860

However, although this is just a wee gap it is very neck and neck! My WU should finish in a few hours hopefully.

Anyone got some good recommendations for a fairly non-expensive SLI Mobo board?
steve

Post by steve »

Ben wrote:Seems they are really pushing the boat out here :!:

L'Alliance Francophone - RAC: 285,079
The Scottish Boinc Team - RAC: 283,860

However, although this is just a wee gap it is very neck and neck! My WU should finish in a few hours hopefully.

Anyone got some good recommendations for a fairly non-expensive SLI Mobo board?
msi k9a2 platinum 4 pci-e slots 4x 260 gtx and watch your psu melt.....
Ben

Post by Ben »

msi k9a2 platinum 4 pci-e slots 4x 260 gtx and watch your psu melt.....

4 x GTX260 and a quad core processor going flat out? I'm surprised there is a fuse big enough to take it :shock:

The board defiantly looks quite good but only 2 points i can see that are / and maybe a problem. The 1st is that unfortunately it is an AMD board which is a bit annoying, but i think i found a board pretty much the same but for Intel socket 775 (if anyone else is interested) however it is more expensive so no suprise there!
2nd is that it says it supports crossfire which is ATI's version of SLI but until now i thought you couldn't use SLI with a crossfire board, or vise versa... But i suppose it would still work anyway (possibly reduce the speed of the cards?) as it is a PCI-E slot at the end of the day.

Link to intel board: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... agegallery
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

TSBT have their noses out in front again: 310K cf 307K. At this rate it will only take 9 years (ish) to claim 1st place from our Francophone rivals. :shock: I really will have to get that 3rd GTX 200 series card. Now, if everyone else did the same! :twisted:
Willie the Megacruncher
steve

Post by steve »

Megacruncher wrote:TSBT have their noses out in front again: 310K cf 307K. At this rate it will only take 9 years (ish) to claim 1st place from our Francophone rivals. :shock: I really will have to get that 3rd GTX 200 series card. Now, if everyone else did the same! :twisted:
Thanks for the offer I'll take 52 save you the postage will collect them....
steve

Post by steve »

Here we go again another new app so get ready for the results

"There have many changes, but most on the science, nothing apparent from a user perspective if not that we report the number of shader cores.

gdf"
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I really will have to get that 3rd GTX 200 series card. Now, if everyone else did the same! :twisted:
Just added 2x GTX260's today, they should help :thumbup:
Now I'm struggling to find a machine for a displaced 8800GS :?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Megacruncher wrote:TSBT have their noses out in front again: 310K cf 307K. At this rate it will only take 9 years (ish) to claim 1st place from our Francophone rivals. :shock: I really will have to get that 3rd GTX 200 series card. Now, if everyone else did the same! :twisted:

I'd happily buy 2 if it wasn't for them sodding uni fees! And a nice HDTV to go with it 8)

As for Temujin, start the bidding! :lol:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

As for Temujin, start the bidding! :lol:
Steady on :shock:
There's still the AGP slotted AMD XP2800+ to upgrade yet :D
steve

Post by steve »

Finaly got this to work !!!! should add another 24k per day .... If the psu will last this time.

Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Cool :thumbup:

or more like, rather hot :shock:

What sort of cards are they?

At home its now too hot to add any more fast GPUs, even at this time of year the 1 GTX260 makes my computer room toasty.
At work I've simply run out of machines to put *any* GPU in, so I think I've hit my max now :(
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

eek :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nice setup.
How noisy is it?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Temujin wrote:What sort of cards are they?

Think it's 4 x 8800GT's? But nice setup indeed! I would say have you tried out Nvidia's overclocking utility, but i think enough heat will be produced from those 4! :shock:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

....At work I've simply run out of machines to put *any* GPU in, so I think I've hit my max now :(
Wow. I assume you own your own business? I just know that if I upgraded a work PC with a top end NVidia card then a day or two later I'd get a new PC unannounced and would never see my expensive GPU again! :lol:
Willie the Megacruncher
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

....At work I've simply run out of machines to put *any* GPU in, so I think I've hit my max now :(
Wow. I assume you own your own business?
haha, I wish :D
I'm a few £100million short of owning the company :D

I do work in the computer dept though :thumbup:
Most of my machines at work are servers that, while they're fairly beefy dual & quad core xeons, don't have PCI-E slots.
Of the handful of work PCs I have boincing, there's possibly 1 that "could" get a new card, so there may be some prospect of growth :D

And short of installing aircon at home, there's no growth there :(
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Guys

Does anyone have plans to add more resources to PS3/GPUGrid?

If there's a reasonable chance of TSBT overhauling L'AF then I'll gladly stick around and contribute to the challenge but they way I see things at the moment, it'll be several years before that may happen, if it happens.

I think something like 6-8 months would be a reasonable time to claim #1 and I'd be happy to do that :thumbup:
To achieve that, we would have to raise TSBTs daily credits by some ~50k over L'AF

So, does anyone have GTX200's on their xmas list?

I don't want this to appear as a threat, if its a reasonable possibility then I'm all for it but all the while I'm with TSBT, my own team is falling further and further behind.
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Yes
I'll be extending the farm in the New Year.
steve

Post by steve »

Will add another 2 260gtx and that will be my limit ( serious cooling problems even in this weather! )

The team may not be at number one but the team name is.............

http://www.ps3grid.net/top_users.php?so ... tal_credit
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Will add another 2 260gtx
Terrific :thumbup:
edit
I can definitely recommend these, They've upped the price since I bought my 2 and they kick out an awful lot of heat but they process WUs in 6 hours (16726 & 13019)

and that will be my limit ( serious cooling problems even in the weather! )
Same problem as me :(
The team may not be at number one but the team name is.............
Well done that man Image
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Upgrade from 8800GT to GTX 260/280 is the only way for me. I'm currently running 5 8800GT's and a GTX260, so plenty of scope for upgrades, just a bit expensive per card.

I'm hoping that in a month or two I'll be able to upgrade a couple of boxes, but we probably need to get Christmas out of the way first and then see what happens.

The decision may be made easier if I can persuade some TSBT members to take a few 8800GT's off my hands at a huge discount.....any takers? :wink:
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I've had a bit of a disaster today :(

I installed the latest cuda drivers (180.60) on the 2 XP32 machines with my fastest GTX260's.
These things normally process WU's in a little over 6 hours :thumbup:
One of them never resurfaced after a reboot and the other took 16 hours to process its next WU :shock:

Both machines also required a reboot for some windows updates, so I can't say for sure it was the cuda drivers but driver 180.60 is now removed from the working machine (which looks to be back to normal) and I'm rebuilding the other machine.

bottom :evil:
Ben

Post by Ben »

D'oh!

Do the times vary if you try them on Linux or Vista? Might be worth trying to see if your 260's can go even faster on the Linux builds :wink:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Aye, there's nothing like an upgrade for breaking that which was working fine. :? I hope you get it all sorted soon.
Willie the Megacruncher
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

Aye, there's nothing like an upgrade for breaking that which was working fine. :? I hope you get it all sorted soon.
Yep, sorted :thumbup:

Downgrading the driver on the working but slow machine sorted that one.

On the broken machine, I couldn't do a repair, it kept getting to a point where it asked if I was sure I wanted to install the NVidia drivers but at which point, the keyboard & mouse were unresponsive.

So, had to do a re-install over the top of the busted installation. That worked :thumbup:
And it kept my BOINC folders, so just had to install the NVidia drivers & boinc and its up and running again.

All good fun :D

~20k short today though :(
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

I think L'AF have TSBT beat :shock:
They're consistently out scoring us and by a growing margin.

So, I don't like to say this but I'll be heading back to UBT.
If things change then I'll come back to help but for the moment adios guys :wave:
steve

Post by steve »

Temujin wrote:I've had a bit of a disaster today :(

I installed the latest cuda drivers (180.60) on the 2 XP32 machines with my fastest GTX260's.
These things normally process WU's in a little over 6 hours :thumbup:
One of them never resurfaced after a reboot and the other took 16 hours to process its next WU :shock:

Both machines also required a reboot for some windows updates, so I can't say for sure it was the cuda drivers but driver 180.60 is now removed from the working machine (which looks to be back to normal) and I'm rebuilding the other machine.

bottom :evil:

may not be the upgrade........ I have had a bunch of bad WU this weekend checked the quarum and 4 other users have failed to crunch the same WU...... Everyone please check the WU before you blame the comp.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I think L'AF have TSBT beat :shock:
They're consistently out scoring us and by a growing margin.

So, I don't like to say this but I'll be heading back to UBT.
If things change then I'll come back to help but for the moment adios guys :wave:
They do have 76 members to our 14, so I guess it is understandable that they can beat us (if only by a few k)...

Anyway, do what you feel best but if you go, go with our thanks for your efforts to date and an invitation back anytime.
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I think L'AF have TSBT beat.
I think you might be right. I think we have to settle for second place, for just now at least.
Thanks very much for trying and thanks a million (or slightly more :) ) for all the credits you leave with us!
We'll see you around and look forward to seeing the UBT GPU Team rising to join us in the Top 10.
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Just want to add my thanks too.

You know you have some good friends here, and your support on this project as it has developed has been noteworthy, even before chasing Les Francais.

......and of course you will be more than welcome back anytime. Don't be a stranger now!

Cheers,

NL
Temujin

Post by Temujin »

thanks guys

If things pick up and it looks like you're in with a chance of #1 then I'll be back

As MacDitch says, #2 its no small achievement for the team, so well done all Image
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Thank you and farewell.
Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”