Anti-virus

Just as the title says!
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

#1 Anti-virus

Post by Reeltime »

Anyone know a good free anti-virus program that won't crash a 64 bit system every 10 minutes?
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

AVG is working fine for me. Not the most resource friendly these days but still simple to use.
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Yeah, I installed AVG, but it didn't seem to like the system very much. In saying that its crashed again a couple of times since I uninstalled it.

Just going to take a day or two to sort out the kinks so to speak.
sneakysaurus

Post by sneakysaurus »

Avast also worth looking at:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

I have two 64bit Vista machines. One runs AVG and one runs Avast not sure which prefer.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I prefer Avast. I have used both on my Vista x64 machine and Avast gives you many more features then AVG does and more protection i have found.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Personally I don't bother. So long as you avoid the obvious traps (sorry but herbs will not add 3 inches to your kn*b) then you don't need anti-virus software !
Willie the Megacruncher
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

oh boy do i need to slap you around the head with a kipper!

ALWAYS INSTALL ANTI VIRUS!

the risks arn't from the dodgey sites and anyone who can't spot one or isnt activly looking for one needs a brain check if the dont notice. The risk is from legitime websites being used to distibute viruses without there knowledge though hacks and back doors. right now sql injection is doing rather well at attacking legit sites and having them download stuff to your machine with no user interaction required!

yes im scare mongering slighty and there is only a small chance of getting a virus if you stick to known safe sites but there is still always a risk even with them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”