Milkyway now handing out CUDA tasks, mega credits.

Forum rules
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#1 Milkyway now handing out CUDA tasks, mega credits.

Post by aardvark »

Milkyway now handing out CUDA applications. I just got 70+ credits for 5 minutes of GPU time :lol:
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Good spot there mr aardvark sir.

I am getting CUDA MW apart from on the one nVidia/ATI hybrid (prob need to look at the XML file to sort it out).

That should show a change in the stats as the nVidia farms move over ....

EDIT:
It is taking my 295's 6min to do a MW unit. 4x GPU's x 74 credits @ 6min = ~3000 credits per hour which makes them the same as 1 ATI 4770 or 4850 lol. On a daily basis it is will be about 10k (for me) more than GPUGrid if I my figures are anywhere close.

Gipsel also thinks the next version of the ATI app has ~10-15% speed increase.

EDIT2:

5 hours 15 mins in and a grand total of 13,883 credits. Seems to be around 25% of the speed of ATI then. Now each GPU on ATI runs 2 concurrent tasks against 1 on nVidia and there are comments that DX11 drivers may allow 2 CUDA on a GPU, so we may get to within 50% at some point. Maybe there will not be a mass exodus from GPUGrid.

So I can get 60k per day from 2x 295's on GPUGrid. At 2,750 credits per hour at 24 hours I should get ~63,500 or about the same taking into my rounding down on GPUGrid.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#3 Milkyway tasks CPU dependant.

Post by aardvark »

Very interesting...........

With no CPU applications running in BOINC my GPU's (XFX GTX260's, 216 shaders, factory OC) each take about 5 min' 26secs to run one milkyway CUDA WU. With all CPU's engaged in tasks the GPU's take about 7 mins 55 secs to complete one WU.

So in terms of performance, better to leave the CPU's idle ? Or is there some way I can allocate one CPU for GPU task usage, and the others to purely CPU tasks ?
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

If it's any use you may find this interesting:

http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/for ... true#29739

But it does refer to BOINC 6.10.1... and I don't have GPUs so I can't confirm it by myself.
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I'm loving 6.10.1.

Just need to see how the RAC goes but at least now I can crunch ATI and CPU with ease. I think there will be a slight negative ATI RAC drop but I need to watch it.

I have one machine showing CPU jobs, NVIDIA GPUS and ATI GPUS at once. Niccceee....

I would screenshot but where to put the image lol

EDIT: On Flickr lol

EDIT2:

Maybe not so slight ....
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

6.10.1 is a scheduling disaster.

Basically overnight it gradualy stopped requesting work across the machines it was on so now they are all curremtly idle and not requeting work.

Need to detach and re-attach here to get it working.

Note to self: Backup folder with custom app in it before detaching or you have to p*ss about copying it back.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

I'm loving 6.10.1. :shock:
Hmmmmmmm. Its working OK on my machine with Win 7 RC and the GTX260's and 190.62 drivers. I had been running 6.10 OK prior to that. Have you tried a repair on the install ?[/quote]
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

No it's not the install unless the same issue on all 5 machines which also were upgrades from 6.10.0.

Also someone replied on the MW forums they are seeing the same :(

Looks like a scheduling/credit debt scenario again. Not exactly unheard of with the BOINC client. However, it's beta and still new at .2 so we can see how it goes in the next release or so.

Until then I need to go back to something older :evil:
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

No it's not the install unless the same issue on all 5 machines which also were upgrades from 6.10.0.
Yes that sounds fairly conclusive. So back to 6.10 or 6.38 decisons, decisions :wink:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Thanks for the warnings. 6.6.36 is doing it for me including all the Cuda projects. If it ain't broke ....
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MilkyWay”