Scotland's Remotest Pub

Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#1 Scotland's Remotest Pub

Post by Gibson Praise »

I found this article https://www.outsideonline.com/2406629/o ... wtab#close an interesting read. :-) ( nice pictures too! ). I guess I kinda wonder what folks closer to the subject at hand think of it.

I admit I'd like to get a drink at the pub .. its getting there that is problematic. :shock:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Scotland's Remotest Pub

Post by davidbam »

Good article - nice to see whisky spelled without the 'e' (as I would hope that is what they were drinking - why walk into Knoydart and drink Jim Beam :lol: )
Getting into nature feels like a miracle in the wilderness-starved United Kingdom. It counts as one of the most crowded countries on earth. It has a population of 66 million on a landmass a little smaller than Wyoming
Let me expand a little ... Scotland comprises roughly 1/3rd of the total land area of the UK but just over 8% of the population (5.4 million)

Of that 5.4 million, maybe 75% live in the Central Belt. Basically a low-lying, coast-to-coast, corridor of land encompassing Glasgow and Edinburgh (the two dark areas near bottom of this map) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... census.png

That leaves 1.35 million and here I start guessing when I say maybe 80% live on the East where the best agricultural land lies. All of which takes me neatly to my conclusion that vast tracts of Central, Western and Southern Highlands have very low population densities indeed & remain easily accessible (mostly).
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: Scotland's Remotest Pub

Post by Dirk Broer »

davidBAM wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 am Good article - nice to see whisky spelled without the 'e' (as I would hope that is what they were drinking - why walk into Knoydart and drink Jim Beam :lol: )
Getting into nature feels like a miracle in the wilderness-starved United Kingdom. It counts as one of the most crowded countries on earth. It has a population of 66 million on a landmass a little smaller than Wyoming
Whoever wrote that has never come to the Holland part of the Netherlands, especially the part between Amsterdam, Haarlem, Leiden, the Hague, Delft, Rotterdam, Dordrecht.....The lived density figure for the Netherlands is 546 people per km², compared to 531 for England, 204 for Wales, 200 for Scotland and 160 for Northern Ireland.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Fun and Games”