Turing Pi

For all your Raspberry Pi's, BeagleBoard's, Parallella's, ORDROID'S, TV boxes et al.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 Turing Pi

Post by scole of TSBT »

I received an email that I can pre-order/reserve a Turing Pi V1 board. Get it or wait for V2?
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#2 Re: Turing Pi

Post by Dirk Broer »

I would wait for V2 -even though I have a code that will save me 5% in purchase. Jeff Geerling has pointed out some shortcomings (e.g. price due to all needed onboard hardware x7; CPU speed limited to 1200 MHz due to interface) that are hopefully overcome with V2. V2 uses the improved Compute Model 4 (CM4) -and then just four instead of seven- and has much improved cooling. In the meantime you can play with the Compute Model 4 I/O board model 4 that is only a third of the cost of the previous I/O boards and has much more possibilities, amongst them a PCIe x1 slot.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: Turing Pi

Post by scole of TSBT »

Good advice. I forgot the Turning Pi V1 did not support the Pi 4 compute modules
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#4 Re: Turing Pi

Post by Dirk Broer »

There is a company that makes CM4 to CM3 adapters, Gumstix
You can also buy them without Coral TPU ($75 vs $30....)
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: Turing Pi

Post by Dirk Broer »

Dirk Broer wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:24 pm I would wait for V2 -even though I have a code that will save me 5% in purchase. Jeff Geerling has pointed out some shortcomings (e.g. price due to all needed onboard hardware x7; CPU speed limited to 1200 MHz due to interface) that are hopefully overcome with V2. V2 uses the improved Compute Model 4 (CM4) -and then just four instead of seven- and has much improved cooling. In the meantime you can play with the Compute Model 4 I/O board model 4 that is only a third of the cost of the previous I/O boards and has much more possibilities, amongst them a PCIe x1 slot.
It turns out that the high price of the older I/O boards was caused by the inclusion of no less than two compute modules, amongst them one 'lite' model.
The new model can be bought here, via elektor for just €34.95! Sadly, the CM4's are sold out...
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: Turing Pi

Post by scole of TSBT »

Turing Pi V2 to be released soon...
https://turingpi.com/turing-pi-v2-is-here/
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#7 Re: Turing Pi

Post by Dirk Broer »

scole of TSBT wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:45 pm Turing Pi V2 to be released soon...https://turingpi.com/turing-pi-v2-is-here/
Big news: it even supports nVidia Jetson modules (Nano, TX2 NX, Xavier NX and Orin NX)!
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#8 Re: Turing Pi

Post by Dirk Broer »

Turing Pi 2 isn't going to come cheap: $200 for the board plus $10 for each CM4 adapter -nVidia Jetson modules (Nano 2/4 GB, nVidia Jetson Xavier NX,d TX2 NX and the new Orin NX) fit right in.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#9 Re: Turing Pi

Post by Dirk Broer »

News about the Turing Pi 2 gets better and better still.
Not only has nVidia released a 16 GB version of the Jetson Xavier NX module, Turing Pi themselves now come with a up to 32 GB module with a RK3588 8-core CPU! That is a maximum of 32 CPU cores and 128 GB of RAM -though I expect that it will cost both an arm and a leg...
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#10 Re: Turing Pi

Post by scole of TSBT »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Single-board Computers”