Welcome Peter Hucker

Greetings to new and old cruncher's all users and guests can see this forum.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by scole of TSBT »

Hello @Peter Hucker. I recognised the name from various project message boards. Welcome to the TSBT forum.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

Welcome Peter :P
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

Noticed you'd joined TSBT on YoYo so dead chuffed to have you on-board. What are your usual projects please?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
PecosRiverM
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

#4 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by PecosRiverM »

:text-welcomewave:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#5 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Megacruncher »

Welcome.
Some Yoyo-ing is especially welcome. We have some aspirations on it but have been keeping our powder dry so far!
Willie the Megacruncher
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by scole of TSBT »

Peter has joined many of our projects. Don't be shy lad, tell us about yourself. We're all friends here.
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#7 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Peter Hucker »

I'm on a lot of projects (I've put them all in here, I didn't know there was a Scottish Boinc team until I spotted a "user of the day" in Universe in here). I'm addicted to Boinc and computers in general. Way too much electricity getting used for 90 CPU cores and 6 GPUs and 6 smartphone cores. Keeps the house and garage warm for my 15 parrots though. I'm trying to breed them, so really it's their hobby, not sure they grasp the basics of astrophysics though.

I do Folding at home aswell as the stuff in here, since Boinc doesn't provide a biology project that runs on AMD GPUs (I don't have NVidias as I hate their poor double precision).

I have a physics degree (which I never used!) so I like the Einstein/Milkyway/Universe/Cosmology projects, but I also like to help out with curing diseases like covid/ebola/tb/cancer/alzheimers, especially as my neighbour just died of cancer and her husband now has alzheimers, it sickens me nothing can be done.

I started with distributed computing in a job I had in 1997. I put United Devices cancer research on 100 computers at work. A colleague introduced me to Seti. And then things took off from there. I used to build gaming machines from home as a part time job and used Boinc to test them. If they could run flat out for 48 hours without crashing or overheating, they were fit for sale.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

@Peter Hucker please see your private messages
Granowski
Marathon Man, Morale Officer, Prime Mover

#9 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Granowski »

Peter Hucker wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:48 am I'm on a lot of projects (I've put them all in here, I didn't know there was a Scottish Boinc team until I spotted a "user of the day" in Universe in here). I'm addicted to Boinc and computers in general. Way too much electricity getting used for 90 CPU cores and 6 GPUs and 6 smartphone cores. Keeps the house and garage warm for my 15 parrots though. I'm trying to breed them, so really it's their hobby, not sure they grasp the basics of astrophysics though.

I do Folding at home aswell as the stuff in here, since Boinc doesn't provide a biology project that runs on AMD GPUs (I don't have NVidias as I hate their poor double precision).

I have a physics degree (which I never used!) so I like the Einstein/Milkyway/Universe/Cosmology projects, but I also like to help out with curing diseases like covid/ebola/tb/cancer/alzheimers, especially as my neighbour just died of cancer and her husband now has alzheimers, it sickens me nothing can be done.

I started with distributed computing in a job I had in 1997. I put United Devices cancer research on 100 computers at work. A colleague introduced me to Seti. And then things took off from there. I used to build gaming machines from home as a part time job and used Boinc to test them. If they could run flat out for 48 hours without crashing or overheating, they were fit for sale.
Welcome @Peter Hucker ... very pleased to have You onboard ...

regards, Gregg Roman Granowski ...
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#10 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Peter Hucker »

Granowski wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:01 pmWelcome @Peter Hucker ... very pleased to have You onboard ...

Your icon says "Marathon Man" - have you run marathons? I used to do that before I got ill.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

Ah - I can explain that. Quite a few of us are into competitive crunching in team challenges such as Formula Boinc. That has 3-day Sprints and year-long Marathons in each Boinc project.

If you want to learn more, I can admit you to another section of the forums (with the proviso that Formula Boinc can damage your wallet and your sleeping patterns)

That said, maybe @Granowski has run in marathons; he has surprised us in the past :joy:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#12 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by scole of TSBT »

@Peter Hucker, are all your AMD GPUs tahitis? How many Milkyway WUs do you run at a time on each GPU?
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#13 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Peter Hucker »

Nevermind the sprints, I "compete" by watching my world position in each project.

I've run in army assault courses in fancy dress, and no I won't show you the pictures!

Yes I'm exclusively Tahiti. I do have a Baffin but it broke. It will work as either a display card or a computing card, but both at once causes the display to jump about which is annoying. So it's currently running monitors 4 and 5 on my main computer. The Tahiti in here will only serve 3.

I used to run enough MW per GPU to make MSI Afterburner show pretty much 100% usage, but I recently gave that up. 1 at a time is almost as fast anyway, I presume if it's doing several at once it slows down swapping stuff about. And I like seeing them finish in under a minute!
Granowski

#14 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Granowski »

Peter Hucker wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:04 pm
Granowski wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:01 pmWelcome @Peter Hucker ... very pleased to have You onboard ...

Your icon says "Marathon Man" - have you run marathons? I used to do that before I got ill.
Greetings ... as a far far past ... now I am at steady support of Milky ... 4 x 6900 xt ... and running that project to 3 bln points ...

also 4 x xeon for Sierpiński/Riesel Base ... 2 x xeon for Sierpiński Seventeen or Bust ... and 4 x 2080 ti oc for Wieferich / Wall Sun Sun ...

and i5 for yoyo ogr ...

propably my best score in PG was a Riesel Number as a doublechecker ... and AP 26 as a doublechecker ...

I come from Poland ... and have very good relations with All TSBT Gentelmen ... I also have a boinc/company mission website ... it is only in polish ...

but is a Great Value ... https://savetheworld.org.pl ...

once again ... it is a Pleasure to have @Peter Hucker ... onboard ... regards, Gregg Roman Granowski ...
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#15 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Peter Hucker »

I looked through your website. Google translate made it into perfect English, looks like you are doing much good.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#16 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

Peter Hucker wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:37 pm looks like you are doing much good.
So too is Poland. Massively impressed at all Poland - and the Polish people - are doing to assist Ukraine
Granowski

#17 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Granowski »

davidbam wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:21 pm
Peter Hucker wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:37 pm looks like you are doing much good.
So too is Poland. Massively impressed at all Poland - and the Polish people - are doing to assist Ukraine
Thank You ... I only prayed ... and supported with some ...

Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#18 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Peter Hucker »

davidbam wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:21 pmSo too is Poland. Massively impressed at all Poland - and the Polish people - are doing to assist Ukraine
I have experience of Polish workers. They're the only people I know that just get on with things without lazing about. I won't say what nationality the other lot were, but the Polish lot did most of the labour at my place of work. Hard working friendly people.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#19 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

Scottish agriculture and fish processing were highly dependent on seasonal work forces from Poland and elsewhere. Fantastic work ethos
Granowski

#20 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Granowski »

Greetings !!! it is also nice ta hear about ... my People ... and especcialy ... if Opinions are ... such ... Worthy ! Thank You,

regards, Gregg Roman Granowski
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#21 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

I haven't even started on how Polish mathematicians helped shorten and win WW2 by handing over their work on Enigma
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#22 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Peter Hucker »

scole of TSBT wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:29 am Peter has joined many of our projects. Don't be shy lad, tell us about yourself. We're all friends here.
Which projects have I not joined, always interested in new ones. Especially the lesser known ones not on the Boinc list.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#23 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by davidbam »

If you visit the home page, nearly all the projects are listed by category index.php

Click on a project for more info
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#24 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Peter Hucker »

Thanks, I think I'm on most of those.
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#25 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by SolidAir79 »

Welcome Peter we are all addicts here so please feel welcome :wink:
Granowski

#26 Re: Welcome Peter Hucker

Post by Granowski »

Greetings ... we kindly invite @Peter Hucker ... to ... get some activity ... with TSBT Members ... both Scottish Gentelmen, and ... Fellow Crunchers from Our's International Community ! @Miklos M is from Hungary ... I come from Poland, as @Peter Hucker was notified ...

Im Nas Wiecej, Tym Rażniej ... as more and more we are, the better and warmer :violin: :clap: :dance:

regards, Gregg Roman Granowski
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Welcome”