Risers

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#1 Risers

Post by Peter Hucker »

Anyone else using risers? I reckon you can connect about 100 GPUs to one computer. I only own 6, and that works. I use this sort of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284761905739

Except I get ones where you can attach 4 to one slot. And I tested it, you can attach four fours to one four making 16, and so on. It splits a single PCI-E lane into 4, so in theory you can plug as many in as you like. I power them off a seperate 12V supply. I got a 1kW LED lighting supply on Ebay for about £70.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Risers

Post by davidbam »

I've got a stack of them here if you want any. Free.

They seem okay for miners but Boinc projects seem to use PCI-e to a much greater extent. Four from one slot sounds like a better plan though as that doesn't 'tee' the PCI-e bus so badly

Then you have Boinc projects like Amicable and GPUgrid where each workunit requires massive amounts of RAM on the host system.
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#3 Re: Risers

Post by Peter Hucker »

I have three machines which have 64GB RAM and can take 128GB.

I've not found the cards need much data transferred through PCI express. Depends on the project I guess. Most of my machines have several PCI-E slots so I can avoid sharing if I have to.

Any risers you have would be welcome here as I plan to buy a lot more GPUs this year and need some way to connect them. I'll private message you my address/phone number if you want to donate! Not that I'm being greedy or scrounging, I just like to see everything put to good use. I give and receive on freecycle a lot.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: Risers

Post by davidbam »

Excellent. Its a done deal. I'll have a quick count later
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
PecosRiverM
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

#5 Re: Risers

Post by PecosRiverM »

I've only used the ribbon style. Just to mainly get the card into the air for cooling purposes..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274451908759
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#6 Re: Risers

Post by davidbam »

PecosRiverM wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:28 am I've only used the ribbon style. Just to mainly get the card into the air for cooling purposes..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274451908759
You need a ribbon about 500 miles long to get the GPU out of the Texas heat :rofl:
Peter Hucker
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#7 Re: Risers

Post by Peter Hucker »

I've used ribbons, but the USB cable ones allow you to move them further and are more flexible than a wide ribbon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”