All things St. Patrick's Day

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 All things St. Patrick's Day

Post by scole of TSBT »

I'm going to make colcannon for St. Patrick's Day. There seem to be a lot a different variations. Most include adding cooked cabbage (orsome other green leafy vegetable such as kale) and green onions to the mashed potatoes. There's one where they dice up (streaky) bacon, fry it up and saute the cabbage and diced onions in the fat, then add it all to mashed potatoes. I'm really liking that one.

You folks in the UK (and anywhere in Europe really) have probably tried more variations than I have. What version would you recommend?

P.S... and of course I've been drinking Guinness draft stout all week :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: All things St. Patrick's Day

Post by davidbam »

colcannon is almost unknown in this neck of the woods. I only heard of it when an Irish woman posted about it on my gardening forums.

Guinness I do know !!
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: All things St. Patrick's Day

Post by Dirk Broer »

Colcannon looks remarkably like 'Boerenkoolstamppot' to me....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: All things St. Patrick's Day

Post by scole of TSBT »

Dirk Broer wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:09 pm Colcannon looks remarkably like 'Boerenkoolstamppot' to me....
Very similar. There are versions of colcannon with kale also. I added very little cooked bacon back to mine, though the cabbage and onions were both cooked in the bacon fat and butter. It was good. Still is. Lots of leftovers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”