Resource Share ?

Just as the title says!
darkmast2

#1 Resource Share ?

Post by darkmast2 »

I currently have Seti at a resource share of 1000 as it is the only project I run. But i want to add another, Rosetta probably.

Do I put the resource share at 500 for each then so it's a 50/50 split between the two.

What about if I wanted Seti on 80% ? Would that be 800/200 split ? Some aspects of Boinc still confuse me.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

If you want to run them with a 50% share each, set both to the same number (1000/1000, 500/500, 100/100 or similar). If you want Seti 80% and Rosetta 20%, set Seti to 800 and Rosetta to 200 (or 80 and 20).

The key thing is the ratio between the numbers rather than the sum of them, so 8/2 is the same as 80/20 or 800/200, and 50/50 is the same as 100/100 or 1/1 etc.

While you're adding Rosetta, you could try a shot at World Community Grid (WCG) :wink:
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Rosetta and WCG that only ones we aren't in top 100 ?
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Thanks for the help, I've now attached to Rosetta and joined the team.

I'm now a little confused. Seti is back up and it reported back about 10 or so units I had sitting but it didn't download any new units. I have my resource share at 800/200 in favour of Seti and changed my preferences for both projects to download enough work for 1 day (it was set to 0.1 days before).

However it has not downloaded any new Seti units and I only have 3 Rosetta units even though there was quite a few files downloaded.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

There are a number of things that could be at work here.

Depending on what Boinc thinks your current machine utilisation is, it may not download any more Seti for a few more hours. It almost certainly isn't broken, but may take a day or so to balance the cache. Perhaps an update on both projects will help, but I wouldn't worry too much just now.

Other factors could be project based. Maybe Seti doesn't have any WU? I don't crunch Seti any more so I'm not sure.

From memory, the Rosetta default WU length is 8 hours, so having 3 WU is about right for a 1 day cache - all the other files downloaded are a mixture of supporting apps, screen savers and data.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Just a little extra info...

Resources:
If you are using BAM! then the maximum resource share you can set for an individual project is 1000, but as Nightlord says it is the ratio that is important, not the actual number.

Work Load/Scheduling:
BonicMgr is very good at scheduling (it should be by now!) but it may not seem obvious to you what it is doing. Suffice it to say that (if there is work) it will give the projects the percentage of time you want, but over the long term (days/weeks). It may run Rosetta 100% for a few hours and then run Seti 90% for a bit to balance the 20/80 split.
The actual decision on what work to run is complicated (Long & Short Term Debts, connection intervals, buffer size, EDF, high priority, computer utilisation, etc...) and, in my opinion, isn't worth worrying about. That said, between the various team members, it can be explained if you really want to know. :)

Lack of Seti:
After saying all that, I also know that Seti was down for a while yesterday; so it may well be that the computer just couldn't get any work at the time you were trying. :roll:
Image Image
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

I left things running last night after I set the resources and when I checked this morning 2 Rosetta units had been done and some seti had been done (unsure how many).

I checked the rosetta site just now (at work atm) and no more units have been done but quite a few Seti ones have. I noticed the estimated time on the Rosetta units are about 3.5 hours.
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Rosetta default is set to 3 hours, I find most units take 2.75 - 3 hours to complete. If you want to you can manually alter this setting from your home page at rosetta
darkmast2

Post by darkmast2 »

Just a quick update to say things seem to have settled down now and chugging along nicely.

At this rate I think I will hit 10k credits overall pretty soon :)
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Nice one. 8)
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

I gave up trying figure out resource share a long time ago. I just leave all of mine at 100. I'm sure it works, but it is not very obvious to me. DUH :oops:
Buster is my dog. Sadly, Buster is gone.
Buster is the Malamute, Obi is the Golden.

Obi is the dog of the house now.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

My personal approach to these things is Stop-Start: I use the "Allow New Tasks"/"No New Tasks" option in Boinc Manager to switch projecst on and off for each machine as my personal or the team priorties dictate.

Boinc Manager does seem to very good at making sure that 1. You don't run out of work. 2. Work gets done in time. 3. You don't download more than you can crunch. So it probably doesn't matter what you do, it'l all work out somehow, so long as either, you have at least 2 projects allowing new work, or just the one but you keep a close eye on it so you can switch when something goes down.

Thanks for the help with Rosetta, our ambitions shall soon prevail! :D
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”